Skip to Content
Brie with Crispy Apple Fritters, Salted Caramel & Apple Butter
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 to 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups cold water
- Canola oil for frying
- 4 crisp apples, peeled, cored, cut crosswise into 16 1/2" slices
- 1 c. excellent quality apple butter
- 8 thick slices Brie Cheese
To Make Caramel:
Place sugar and water into 3-quart stainless steel sauce pot. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture turns deep caramel color, 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; slowly whisk in cream. Bring to rapid boil; do not allow to steam. Stir in salt and butter. Set aside; keep warm.
To Make Fritters:
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and 1 tablespoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk in cold water. Heat 2 inches canola oil in large pot to 325° F. (Watch temperature carefully.) Dip apples into fritter batter. Carefully drop into hot oil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Flip and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Repeat until all apples are cooked.
- Place large spoon of apple butter in center of plate. Place one of the fritters on apple butter; top with slice of the cheese. Place another apple fritter on top, then drizzle with caramel sauce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Chiles Rellenos with Cheese & Smoked Chicken
Cranberry-Walnut Goat Cheese Toasts